21 June 2010

Craft Fairs & Jewelry Displays


Howdy Everyone!
Let me tell you about this fabulous craft fair
that I visited early this month.


It's called the Renegade Craft Fair held annually at
the McCarren Park in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.


There were free stuff like magazines & buttons...


Live music...


A photo booth...


Craft workshops...


And over 300 booths of spectacular crafts from clothes 
to jewelry to home goods, bags and paper products!

Craft fairs & flea markets are on my "To Do" List this summer, but as a shopper rather than booth owner for now. This got me thinking, maybe some of you will be participating in fairs & markets to sell your handiwork. I'd like to help you out with some ideas to display your wares using the blah to TADA! philosophy.


Blah: empty rolls of tissue & paper towels.


Find the center of an empty paper towel roll
then make a hole using a pair of scissors 
or craft knife.


Insert one end of another empty paper towel roll into 
the hole and secure with hot glue.


Make several in different heights.


Cover neatly with felt or fabric.
Mount on a thin yet sturdy piece 
of wood with hot glue.

To keep it from being wobbly, I did a sandwich system
from the bottom up: wood + glue + small piece of 
cardboard {directly under the paper towel roll} + 
glue + felt + paper towel roll.


TADA! A necklace & bracelet rack!


Add your handmade necklaces & bracelets
for a neat display.

{Avoid using this for heavy, chunky pieces.}


Even if you aren't participating in a 
craft fair, you can use this at home 
to organize your jewelry.

See you tomorrow!


34 comments:

  1. wow. this is genius! i would never have thought of this in a million years.. im soo gunna try it! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You constantly amaze me with your projects Claire!

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Angie May & Reese -- I hope you will be able to use this idea :) Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this one is incredibly good Claire! so creative, really =D I love what you've done xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!!! seriously u have read my mind. I have saving these tube things for a month now to make exactly the same thing u did. the only prblem couldnt figure out the how to's. \i was thinking of asking for your help. anyways thankyou for reading my mind and posting this amzing makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your enthusiasm Hania and for making me believe {for a moment} that I have the power to read minds, LOL :) Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I never would have thought of that!

    - Please read my blog emmaneena.blogspot.com, we're selling jewelry at a craft fair in November, might use your idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much Ireland! Glad to be of help & good luck with the craft fair :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nicely done. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing this! i need a bracelet/necklace display (i just started making jewelry myself) but didn't want to spend a lot of money on one. this will work great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very happy to help Melissa! Thanks for your comment today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a super idea girl. Such a help for me. Saved me $16.00 and up. Have any ideas for a hand display? I tried one from a plastic holloween hand which did not work out. It was to fat and would not stand up. oh well, I'll keep thinking. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Miss Anonymous! Good luck with your business. I'll have to think about hand displays and write about it in the near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you think this would look ok with purple fabric/felt OR bright peacock blue fabric/felt? Anyway great idea and looks like it's really easy (and cheap!!!)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting & liking this project Miss Anonymous! Go ahead and use any plain fabric you wish to use, as long as your jewelry gets to stand out. They are the ones on display after all, and this rack is just a canvass to display them :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Claire! First off, I love your blog. I love reusing items too. I finally got around to making this. I didn't cover my ends yet. I have a picture of mine on my blog if you would like to see it. http://craftybliggityblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/bracelet-display.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for visiting my blog Shannon! I saw your bangle/necklace holder and it's so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. GENIAL!!!! MERCI !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for visiting Miss Anonymous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this idea! Thank you for share it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Ana Maria! I'm very glad to share this idea and that a lot of people find it useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just found this on pinterest and am going to make one tonight. I plan on making it stronger by stuffing the tubes with newspaper. For my eclectic muse I am going to cover it with fabric strips.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Appreciate your visit Francine! I love your recommendations -- now that's collaboration right there. Happy crafting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there every one, here every person is sharing these kinds of knowledge, therefore it's fastidious to read this
    web site, and I used to pay a quick visit this webpage daily.


    Here is my webpage; how To buy a Home

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is awesome. will use this with my scouts for a recycled project!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. thank you. I will share this with my scouts as a recycled project!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial! I featured a link to it on Moogly this morning! http://www.mooglyblog.com/craft-fair-checklist/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the tutorial!!! Looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I MADE ONE OF THESE YESTERDAY FOR A CRAFT SHOW I'M DOING. IT TURNED OUT PRETTY NICE...JUST A LITTLE WOBBLY. WISH I KNEW HOW TO SEND YOU A PICTURE OF IT.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!